Move Mailbox in Exchange 2010 :
Moving Mailbox is pretty much simple, move request can be performed using GUI mode or Shell:
But before moving maailbox we should know few things about Exchange Server 2010 move request.
The following terms are used in Exchange Server 2010 move operation:
- Online mailbox move – Move mailbox operation wherein users are able to access their mailbox almost for the entire time of the operation except for the last part. Exchange Server 2010 uses online mailbox move.
- Offline mailbox move is a move operation wherein users cannot access their mailboxes during the move.
- Local Move is a move operation wherein the source and target mailboxes exist in the same forest and organization.
- Remote Move is a move operation wherein the source and target are in different forests and organization.
- Push is a move operation where the target is either an Exchange Server 2007 or Exchange Server 2003 and the source is an Exchange 2010 server in a local move. A push can also occur between Exchange 2010 where the source and the target are in different forests.
- Pull is a move operation where the target is an Exchange 2010 server.
Let’s discuss using GUI
Open Exchange Management console.
Expand Recipient Configuration, on the Extreme right New Local Move Request as shown below.
Click New Local move Request
Click on the Tab Browse and select the Target Database click OK and Click Next.
Got Error Message when I select next might be due to corrupted items as shown below.
Here you can use the Send Tab “Skip the corrupted Message.
Click New the below task will be started
And Click fininsh.
Using EMS :
New-MoveRequest -Identity ‘email@example.com’ -TargetDatabase “DB01”
In case if you get error message while performing move request in shell.
Here we can use two switches -baditemlimit & -Acceptlargedataloss in EMS (Exchange Management Shell)
Below is the command
“New-MoveRequest -Identity “PraveenE” -BadItemLimit 1000 -AcceptLargeDataLoss”
You can use other options if you like, but the -AcceptLargeDataLoss resolves this issue.
MCTS | Exchange Server