Viewing and Transferring Roles
The roles can be viewed and transferred in the GUI or from the command line.
To view the schema you must first register the schema master dll with Windows. To do this enters the following in the RUN dialog of the start menu.
Once you have done this the schema master mmc (microsoft management console) snap-in will be available.
Active Directory Domains and Trusts
The Domain naming master can be viewed and transferred from here.
Active Directory User and Computers
The RID, PDC emulator and Infrastructure master roles can be viewed and transferred from here.
NTDSUTIL provides FSMO maintenance and the option to seize a role (covered in the FSMO Role Failure section below).
To transfer a role using ntdsutil use the example below as a template for all the roles.
- Open a command prompt
- Enter inntdsutil
- At the ntdsutil command prompt enter inroles
- At the fsmo maintenance prompt enter inconnection
- At the server connections prompt enter inconnect to domancontrollername
- At the server connections prompt enter inquit
- At the fsmo maintenance prompt enter intransfer schema master
- Quit from the console